Saturday 31 October 2009

Help A Poppy Seller

I really cannot believe it. The RBL Poppy sellers have been told that they cannot draw attention to their collecting activities by shaking a collecting tin or requesting a donation! It is said that people might feel intimidated. Well I never - go to the foot of our stairs!! What a load of wimps people are if they feel intimidated by a rattle of a collecting tin as you walk by. Far by worse are the people who try to badger you into giving bank details to make a charitable donation by direct debit.

I'd like to suggest that we all mobilise as willing unofficial volunteers. Go fill old baked bean/soup cans with some loose change. Then go out and find a quiet and silent Poppy Seller. Just stand near them. Shake your coin filled tin as loud as you are able. As far as I'm aware there is no law against this.

If an officer of the law does make an appearance and questions you - start to shout 'penny for the guy' and/or 'trick or treat'.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shall give it a go - perhaps I will make a small profit for myself? In the meantime I kept my poppy from last year - in the smaller of the two tooth glasses if you must know...

Around My Kitchen Table said...

So agree with you. I don't mind a rattling tin to prod my conscience but I do so object to the those telephone calls. I can imagine they could quite intimidating to some elderly people who might feel obliged to donate money they can't afford.

Penny Pincher said...

Mutley - you've left me speechless for once . .ahem

AMKT - nice to see you here again.

Wulfy said...

I'm not intimidated by them personally. More annoying is the "Big Issue Please" lady down the road from my work who constantly badgers everybody who walks past!

And yes, cold callers (be it charity, insurance, contests(!) or whatever) get sarcasm or abuse if they call me, given I've signed up for that opt-out thing with TPS.


As for poppies, I have decided against the normal red one this year. I have a purple poppy... it is the animal equivalent, as many animals have died in war too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Penny Pincher said...

Hello Wulfy - a Devon man I see - nice to meet you.

Wulfy said...

I am indeed, also from East Devon.
Been following your blog and a one or two that you list (mostly ones involving Devon, particularly Sidmouth).