Tuesday 26 August 2008

London Olympics 2012

Now the Olympic focus has turned to London 2012. Everyone is wondering how we can 'top' the Beijing Olympics. I hope we don't even try. I hope as the Mayor of London suggested the British will provide a different and quirky element to the 2012 Olympic opening and closing ceremonies.

I believe that we should look back to the previous London Olympics of 1948. Austerity and thrift were still in place. Rationing was tighter than during the recently ended World War 2. I think London should put in place a Thrifty Austerity Olympics where the focus is on the taking part rather than razz ma tazz. If you think this is a good perhaps you will contact Bo Jo the Mayor of London and pass on ideas.


While I am - on the subject of the London Olympics 2012 I read today on Retired and Crazy's blog the petition for the Red Arrows to be part of the opening ceremony closes in mid September. There is still time to add your signature. I did highlight the petition in a post in April. I agree with retiredandcrazy, we should pass this on to as many people as possible. We should be proud of our British heritage and should be able to highlight the few things for which we are renowned world wide.

6 comments:

merry weather said...

Hello LT! I like the sound of the thrifty Olympics. Yes, why not. Many of us may be relatively poor by 2012 and in need of morale-boosting.

The Red Arrows are fab - when I was younger, they were based at Kemble (I think? Or Lyneham?) and we often saw them practising.

All the same I do wonder what it feels like to dread the sound of British aircraft flying low...

AuntyTeeni said...

I think the 2012 Olympics will be more interesting to me than the Beijing ones were. I'll be very interested to see how everything is handled.

Penny Pincher said...

Hello Merryw - I didn't relaise you were back from your holiday trip. Hope you had a lovely time.

Yes the Red Arrows used to be based at Kemble in Gloucestershire during the 70's. One of the pilots wives [well, a wife of one of the pilots, I meant] lived near us in Stroud and often buzzed the house - the first time it happened I thought it was going to crash through my roof.

Where we are now we often experience those large heavy military helicopters 3 at a time flying low over the hill top almost scraping the chimney pots - the china vibrates on the dresser - I can almost hear Wagner as I'm reminded of the scene from 'Apolcalypse Now' - and am thankful we don't have to be fearful ...

Hello teeni - we will all be very interested .. Ijust hope it will be British example of fine management which can still be done .. providing the politicians are kept out of the arrangements.

Manchester provided excellent venue etc for the Commonwealth Games in 2002. A great example i only hope London will live up to their example .. .

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

I like what Boris said "British ingenuity and resourcefulness would make the 2012 Olympics as impressive as the Beijing Games". I only hope that he can pull it off.

Stinking Billy said...

I voted, in spite of the assurance from 10 Downing Street that the decision to veto the Red Arrows was not true. So, who are we to believe? Excuse me for a mo', I can feel a laughing fit coming on.

Penny Pincher said...

Hello retired crazy one - whatever you want BoJo to pull off - I hope he can do so too.

St Billy - I'm smiling just thinking of your laughing fit ...