Sunday 19 April 2009

Whistleblower by Penny Whistle Blower

I'm a Whistle blower. Although I signed the Official Secrets Act I am going to blow a whistle. It's only a Penny Whistle but here goes . . .

In the 1970's I worked for the Department of Health & Social Security when Sir Keith Joseph was the Minister in charge of the DHSS. I used to check the facts and figures as cases were prepared to prosecute Employers for the non payment of NI contributions deducted from employees wages. Once all the papers were checked the file was then passed on to an Executive Officer. Files then passed on to an Inspector who would take the case to the court.

Now, I have a work ethic. If my in box is full I like to clear it before I sit and have a chat. But my superviser complained that I worked too quickly. Would I slow down as he was unable to keep up with my output. He didn't like a teetering pile in his In-tray. Neither did I - that's why I worked quickly.

Also I was rather taken aback during my first year at the DHSS Regional Office in North London when in late January I was told that I'd not taken my quota of sick days. I was to be sure and get them all in before the end of March. I only survived there a couple of years. Even though I was only in my 20s it felt wrong to be paid so well for so little. I'm not a thumb twiddler. I like to keep occupied.

I doubt there has been much change in the Civil Service. I do regret now I'm a pensioner not staying on and 'playing the system'. I would have enjoyed the pension now.

4 comments:

Robert said...

I too am an ex-civil servant. I couldn't deal with the culture which stifled initiative. My department was very overmanned and I ran the staff canteen, was union branch secretary and STILL had time over! I'm so glad I left. Bugger the pension!

Lindsay said...

Perhaps you knew my dad - he was the Senior Legal Advisor at the DHSS during the reign of Sir Keith Joseph amongst others. Talking of pensions - my dad has a whopping one which is completely paying for his expensive care home (he is 90 years old now). He used to moan that my husband had perks like a company car - I think we would rather have had his pension!!!!

Penny Pincher said...

Well that's a forceful view Robert! I agree. Money can't buy happiness. But it can cheer me up when I'm low. There's nothing like a bit of retail therapy to lift a girls spirits - and in knowing I'm helping Darling and Buster Brown to save the UK economy I can feel virtuous in 'doing my bit'.

Penny Pincher said...

Sorry Lindsay - I was JUST a very lowly 20 yr old clerical officer {posh term for clerk]- I never met anyone higher than an Inspector.