Saturday 22 November 2008

Strictly Come Dancing Sergeant

Strictly Come Dancing is not the sort of programme I would normally watch. If I want to see dancing then I'd much rather watch an old film of Astair and Rogers [Fred and Ginge] or Gene Kelly 'Singing in the Rain'.

But once John Sergeant started to make an impact on the show I couldn't miss all the talk about it - so 2 weeks ago I tuned in to see for myself. Apart from not knowing most of the 'celebrities' - other than Austin Healey - I just watched John Sergeant perform. I can see why so many people have enjoyed his dancing. I liked the twinkle in his eyes. It made me smile. So I tuned in again a week later. Most of the 'dancers look pretty stiff and wooden with large false grins plastered on their faces. John when he danced had a gentle smile and a twinkle in his eyes. I was very nearly tempted to vote for him. Anyone who can make me laugh without being vulgar or insensitive will always get my vote.

I was immensely disappointed when he felt obliged to resign. I see the BBC received an unprecedented number of messages about his resignation from the show. I'll tune in just once more this week to see his 'swan song' but after that I'll definitely cross this programme off my viewing list .. I think everyone should refrain from voting this week in protest at the outcome ..

3 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

I only watch SCD passively because Mrs W likes it, but when John S bowed out this evening I was close to tears. Mrs W was welling up. I know he's an old charmer and a con artist but it was really quite moving. Damn these entertainment folks.

Stinking Billy said...

penny, without being vulgar or insensitive, trust you to know only the rugby player. ;-)

Penny Pincher said...

Hello gentlemen, good to hear from you both.
Perhaps now the Beeb has seen how popular 'gentle humour' can be on TV they may set John Sergeant up on some entertainment show of his own.
St Billy - just shows you how often sport must be on TV in this house - and how much I take in while I sit there reading . . .