Thursday 25 October 2007

A View For Teeni

This is Budleigh Salterton beach. Now of all the beaches available to us folk who live in East Devon - this is my favourite. The bay is wider and more open than at Sidmouth. It lacks the horrible rock groins which were erected over the last 10 years off Sidmouth beach in an attempt to prevent coastal erosion. It hasn't - the seas just come from a different direction nowadays. The town of Budleigh Salterton is smaller than Sidmouth and a short walk from this viewpoint. Sidmouth has everything we need from banks and shops to medical services and is nearest to where we live. But Budleigh is where I go for pleasure and leisurely walks.

The second photo taken is from the same spot but looking east.The River Otter forms a meandering exit to the sea. It varies from week to week as the shingle bank moves with the tides. It is a particularly good area for bird watching. There is a lovely riverside walk to Otterton Mill where a good cup of coffee along with a range of organic savouries or cake can be enjoyed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Penny! This is just glorious! What a beautiful spot! I love the way the beach and the lawn are separated by the little rock strip - so neatly done. And in the second picture is that a golf course on the hill? It is just such perfectly manicured looking grass. That area is breathtaking! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures!

Anonymous said...

Otterton Mill sounds fabulous. Anything with savouries and sweets where you get to enjoy that view is fine with me! Better than fine, actually. :)

Whispering Walls said...

Should help your SAD

merry weather said...

What a lovely place! Thank you for all your kind and helpful comments on mine recently. I am inspired by your cheerfulness, it's good to have blogging friends and you are one of the best...

Hope all the ills are over now and you're either out enjoying those beautiful beaches or ensconced under the light box...xx

Penny Pincher said...

Well Merryweather - at the moment I'm esconced next to my lightbox as it is so grey and dull here today. I've been out for coffee withy friends, done the chores and now here to enjoy myself and get my daily dose of light for half an hour.

Teeni - it's not a glof course but usually well grazed by sheep or dairy cows.

WWhisper - you're very right it does help with the SAD but during this last 18 months I've not been able to get over to this spot much at all but i hope to make it a regular birdwathcing walk this winter. Several Geese and a Whooper or Bewick swan (I get them muddled up) have already arrived for this year.

toby said...

That stretch along the Otter is lovely. Although, I prefer to finish with a beer after doing a circuit over the top and returning along those great red cliffs...

Yup, I get around!

Anonymous said...

My mum lives in Budleigh Salterton and I will be travelling south from Cumbria to see her for the New Year. This is an area I know well and I'm looking forward to walking on the beach and wandering up the River Otter. A part of the world that's almost as good as where I live.

Penny Pincher said...

Hello cumbrian - your mum is a lucky lady - as are you - at least the trip is straight down the Motorway. Nice to meet you - I hope you'll pop in again one day.