Monday 26 November 2007

It's Elementary that I'm a High Achiever

I recently found a new blogger I like the look of. This time I followed a link from the comments left on St Billy's blog. Almost American (AA) recently talked about how were the Blogs Reading Levels determined. I've also picked up this little widget recently from Mark Wadsworth's site. Like AA I input various favourite blogs in to assess their reading level. I can only assume that it is measured on the number of long complicated, unusual or erudite words used in posts. One of my favourite well written blogs has an Elementary school reading level. I was initially rather ashamed that my blog only scraped in at the High School level but to see a high profile writer at 'Elementary level' I was somewhat soothed. I'm still trying to analyse how some bloggers achieve genius level. I did run their URL through the widget to check some of them aren't cheating but no - they are Genius level. I'm obviously a suspicious cow as well as being paranoid.

One interesting strange anomaly I did find is that on this blog I am High School level yet on Careless Carer I only attain elementary level. What do I have to do to attain a higher level so that I can proudly display a :-


7 comments:

Penny Pincher said...

If you want to try out the little widget for yourself it can be found lower down on the right hand column, below my blog roll etc.

Mark Wadsworth said...

Ta muchly for link. I guess that there is no category for "borderline insane", so I go the next best thing. It appears that you don't get marked down for using swear-words!

Almost American said...

Ooh - I never thought about stealing someone else's reading level! And I hadn't thought to be suspicious about other people's blogs' reading levels . . .

I think it probably works along the lines of the readability index in MSWord - a function of words per sentence, amoutn of punctuation, and number of long words I think.

Like you, I was initially ashamed at the assessment of my blog's readability level - until I looked at some other blogs. Most of the ones I like to read are written at the Elementary level, and the ones I subscribe to but always seem to put off reading are 'harder' to read.

Odd that your two blogs score differently . . .

Anonymous said...

LOL. Well, this post certainly was genius. Thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

Uncle Dick Madeley said...

'Elementary School' for me! You do know that it's all bull? Good writing it often at a lower level because it's written in order to be read. Anybody can write convoluted nonsense. It doesn't mean anybody would want to read it.

Penny Pincher said...

You're welcome Mark. Perhaps the use of swear words is a sign of an education at Uni level?

Well, AA, welcome. I can see you are a more trusting person than I.

teeni - glad you think this genius! 8-)

Hello Clever Dick - nice to see you out and about again. Re the bull - are you into farming now then?
All joking aside it is good to see you again.

Henry North London 2.0 said...

Im on genius level for some strange reason.

Lovely photo of the dahlia

I love estate cars...(is it a manual cos I hate those)

Thing is you could be done under money laundering for accepting money....

Henry