Saturday 12 May 2007

Rape of the Countryside

I see from an article in today's Independent newspaper that it isn't the pollen of oilseed rape which causes us all to suffer from so much coughing and spluttering but that the "oilseed rape does give off volatile organic compounds such as terpenes and aldehydes which could account for its irritant effect on the mucous membranes of the eyes, mouth and throat." So, it may not be hay fever but an irritable response from the mucous membranes! Whatever, I just know that my symptoms appear as if from nowhere. I then find a field of rape within minutes of the onset of streaming eyes, nose and choking fits where I and my companions believe I'm breathing my last. And that is why I will never again visit East Anglia during the rape growing season.

No comments: